We’re ramping up for filming, finalizing the script, writing taunts, insults, and hints for puzzles. The script is nearly 70 pages long, and lots of planning is required. Which scenes to shoot when, coordinating actors, costumes, stage access, etc – it’s pretty time consuming to get it all together. Peder and his crew are taking it in stride though.
Last weekend, I gave a talk about the game and a brief demo at The University of Iowa. We got some great feedback on the game, and it was received very well.
Probably more relevant to you guys is the preparation for that demo.
-Peder and I had to work through some issues to get video to play with transparency. Ultimately, Peder had to render out video with a mask to omit the black background so that the 3d modeled scene shows through. I had to edit a custom shader to get it to work. The end result looks and plays great.
– I had to modify the code such that the video plays at the correct time, fixes the camera in place, and restricts player motion until it’s complete. Also, the music volume had to drop while the dialogue played, then ramp back up afterward. This scene ends with Tad leaving the kitchen into the maze, so the door had to close after him.
-Matt modified and improved the code for the puzzles in these scenes and fixed some bugs. He’s also improved the navigation and made that smoother.
-James, of course created and optimized the 3d models, and made them ready for our game engine.
-Chris Bormend created the music tracks for the game.
So it really was a team effort, and everything looked and sounded great. Here’s a screenshot of Tad reacting to Dr. Richmond in the game:
So, things are going very well with the game! It’s a bit surreal, and somewhat stressful too: lots has to happen in a very short time period. Nonetheless, it’s a very exciting time for us. Thanks to all of you for being onboard!